The Happiness Project
the highlighted lines:
* periods of deprivation to sharpen pleasures
* writers sould recharge themselves with languagefree occupation
* what do you think when you sit on the toilet seat?
*TV is great if you are not watching it in a stupid way
*passion enjoyable is that you do not have to worry about the results.
* detach-embrace. loose-deepen
* the fact that you do not want to try meditation means that you need it desperately
* true rules
* the things that go wrong – often make the best memories
* hawthorne effect / placebo effect
* being in a different neighbourhood at an unusual time of day heightened my awareness of my surroundings
* happiness does not always make you feel happy
* “a heart to be contended ”
* it is easier to complain than to laugh, easier to yell than to joke around, easier to be demanding than to be satisfied.
* “Act the way I want to feel”
* Sleep is the new sex
* May is the new september
* Vulnerabilty is the new strength
* I had to give up my pride, my defensiveness, my self centredness
* what is fun for other people – may not be fun for you
* always make water when you can
* “shield your joyous ones”
* it is easy to be heavy – hard to be light
* pollyana game
* ……. when people’s minds are unoccupied – they tend to drift to anxious or angry thoughts.
* distraction is a powerful mood altering device
* do good – feel good – feel good – do good.